Cardiff Oncology's biggest risks in the FY2024 10-K
- Cardiff Oncology is a clinical-stage biotech focused on its sole product candidate, onvansertib, which requires substantial additional capital to develop.
The risks most specific to Cardiff Oncology
- Risks Related to Our Business
We are a clinical stage company and may never earn a profit
We are a clinical stage company with an accumulated deficit of approximately $384.2 million as of December 31, 2024, and we may never earn a profit.
- Risks Related to Our Business
We will need to raise substantial additional capital to develop and commercialize onvansertib and our failure to obtain funding when needed may force us to delay, reduce or eliminate our product development programs or collaboration efforts
Our cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments of approximately $91.7 million as of December 31, 2024, will not be sufficient to fund future operations without raising substantial additional capital.
- Risks Related to Our Business
If the manufacturers upon whom we rely fail to produce our product candidate, in the volumes that we require on a timely basis, or fail to comply with stringent regulations applicable to pharmaceutical drug manufacturers, we may face delays in the development and commercialization of our product candidate
We do not possess internal manufacturing capacity and rely on GMP, FDA validated contract manufacturers to supply onvansertib.
- Risks Related to Our Business
If we materially breach or default under the Nerviano Licensing Agreement, Nerviano will have the right to terminate the agreement and we could lose critical license rights, which would materially harm our business
Our business is substantially dependent on maintaining our intellectual property license agreement with Nerviano for onvansertib.
- Risks Related to Our Business
We will need to increase the size of our organization, and we may experience difficulties in managing growth
We are a small company with only 33 employees as of December 31, 2024, and may experience difficulties managing future growth.
- Risks Related to Our Business
We do not currently have any internal drug discovery capabilities, and therefore we are dependent on in-licensing or acquiring development programs from third parties in order to obtain additional product candidates
We do not currently have any internal drug discovery capabilities and must rely on in-licensing or acquiring additional product candidates.
All 59 risk factors
Headings as the filing states them, in filing order.
Risks Related to Our Business
- 01We are a clinical stage company and may never earn a profit
- 02these future net losses, or when we may attain profitability, if at all. If we are unable to generate significant revenue from onvansertib or attain profitability, we will not be able to sustain operations
- 03We will need to raise substantial additional capital to develop and commercialize onvansertib and our failure to obtain funding when needed may force us to delay, reduce or eliminate our product development programs or collaboration efforts
- 04be successfully commercialized by us or by collaborators
- 05Our product candidate may exhibit undesirable side effects when used alone or in combination with other approved pharmaceutical products or investigational new drugs, which may delay or preclude further development or regulatory approval, or limit their use if approved
- 06the supply or quality of drug material necessary to conduct our preclinical studies or clinical trials being insufficient, inadequate or unavailable
- 07We have limited capacity for recruiting and managing clinical trials, which could impair our timing to initiate or complete clinical trials of our product candidate and materially harm our business
- 08We, and our collaborators, must comply with extensive government regulations in order to advance our product candidate through the development process and ultimately obtain and maintain marketing approval for our products in the U.S. and abroad
- 09adversely affect the receipt of potential milestone payments and royalties from the sale of our products or product revenues
- 10fines, civil penalties and criminal prosecutions
- 11We have limited experience in the development of therapeutic product candidates and therefore may encounter difficulties developing our product candidate or managing our operations in the future
- 12Clinical trials involve a lengthy and expensive process with an uncertain outcome, and results of earlier studies and trials may not be predictive of future trial results
- 13Delays in clinical testing could result in increased costs to us and delay our ability to generate revenue
- 14The regulatory approval processes of the FDA and comparable foreign authorities are lengthy, time consuming and inherently unpredictable, and if we are ultimately unable to obtain regulatory approval for our product candidate, our business will be substantially harmed
- 15This lengthy approval process as well as the unpredictability of future clinical trial results may result in our failing to obtain regulatory approval to market our product candidate, which would significantly harm our business, results of operations and prospects
- 16We may be required to suspend or discontinue clinical trials due to unexpected side effects or other safety risks that could preclude approval of our product candidate
- 17If we fail to comply with healthcare regulations, we could face substantial enforcement actions, including civil and criminal penalties and our business, operations and financial condition could be adversely affected
- 18We need FDA approval prior to marketing our product candidate in the United States. If we fail to obtain FDA approval to market our product candidate, we will be unable to sell our product candidate in the United States and we will not generate any revenue
- 19If our product candidate is unable to compete effectively with marketed drugs targeting similar indications as our product candidate, our commercial opportunity will be reduced or eliminated
- 20build an adequate sales and marketing infrastructure for our product candidates
- 21If the manufacturers upon whom we rely fail to produce our product candidate, in the volumes that we require on a timely basis, or fail to comply with stringent regulations applicable to pharmaceutical drug manufacturers, we may face delays in the development and commercialization of our product candidate
- 22We may not be able to manufacture our product candidate in commercial quantities, which would prevent us from commercializing our product candidate
- 23Materials necessary to manufacture our product candidate may not be available on commercially reasonable terms, or at all, which may delay the development and commercialization of our product candidate
- 24Our product candidate, if approved for sale, may not gain acceptance among physicians, patients, and the medical community, thereby limiting our potential to generate revenues
- 25the availability of adequate third-party insurance coverage or reimbursement
- 26Guidelines and recommendations published by various organizations can impact the use of our product
- 27our contract manufacturers’ plants being closed as a result of regulatory sanctions or a natural disaster
- 28In the event that we need to change our third-party contract manufacturers, our preclinical studies, clinical trials or the commercialization of our product candidate could be delayed, adversely affected or terminated, or such a change may result in significantly higher costs
- 29We do not currently have any internal drug discovery capabilities, and therefore we are dependent on in-licensing or acquiring development programs from third parties in order to obtain additional product candidates
- 30If a product liability claim is successfully brought against us for uninsured liabilities, or such claim exceeds our insurance coverage, we could be forced to pay substantial damage awards that could materially harm our business
- 31If we materially breach or default under the Nerviano Licensing Agreement, Nerviano will have the right to terminate the agreement and we could lose critical license rights, which would materially harm our business
- 32We may delay or terminate the development of our product candidate at any time if we believe the perceived market or commercial opportunity does not justify further investment, which could materially harm our business
- 33We will need to increase the size of our organization, and we may experience difficulties in managing growth
- 34Business disruptions could seriously harm future revenue and financial condition and increase our costs and expenses
- 35Security threats to our information technology infrastructure and/or our physical buildings could expose us to liability and damage our reputation and business
- 36General economic or business conditions may have a negative impact on our business
- 37If we use biological and hazardous materials in a manner that causes injury, we could be liable for damages
- 38Healthcare reform measures could adversely affect our business
- 39Catastrophic events, including global pandemics such as the COVID-19 pandemic, could materially adversely impact our business, results of operations and financial condition, including our clinical trials
- 40Geopolitical risks associated with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine could result in increased market volatility and uncertainty, which could negatively impact our business, financial condition, and results of operations
- 41The increasing use of social media platforms presents new risks and challenges
- 42Volatile and significantly weakened global economic conditions have in the past and may in the future adversely affect our industry, business, and results of operations
Risks Related to Our Intellectual Property
- 43If we are unable to protect our intellectual property effectively, we may be unable to prevent third parties from using our technologies, which would impair our competitive advantage
- 44The patents issued to us may not be broad enough to provide any meaningful protection, one or more of our competitors may develop more effective technologies, designs or methods without infringing our intellectual property rights and one or more of our competitors may design around our proprietary technologies
- 45We may incur substantial costs as a result of litigation or other proceedings relating to patent and other intellectual property rights
- 46Certain rights that we in-license from third-parties are not within our control, and we may be negatively impacted if we lose those rights
Risks Related to Ownership of Our Common Stock
- 47Our ability to use our net operating loss carryforwards and certain other tax attributes is limited by Sections 382 and 383 of the Internal Revenue Code
- 48U.S. federal income tax reform could adversely affect us
- 49The rights of the holders of our common stock may be impaired by the potential issuance of preferred stock
- 50Our common stock price may be volatile and could fluctuate widely in price, which could result in substantial losses for investors
- 51period-to-period fluctuations in our financial results
- 52We have not paid dividends on our common stock in the past and do not expect to pay dividends on our common stock for the foreseeable future. Any return on investment may be limited to the value of our common stock
- 53If securities or industry analysts do not publish research or reports about our business, or if they adversely change their recommendations regarding our stock, our stock price and trading volume could decline
- 54Delaware law and our corporate charter and bylaws contain anti-takeover provisions that could delay or discourage takeover attempts that stockholders may consider favorable
- 55A sale of a substantial number of shares of our common stock may cause the price of our common stock to decline and may impair our ability to raise capital in the future
- 56We may be subject to stockholder litigation, thereby diverting our resources, which could materially adversely affect our profitability and results of operations
- 57If we fail to comply with the continued minimum closing bid requirements of the Nasdaq or other requirements for continued listing, our common stock may be delisted and the price of our common stock and our ability to access the capital markets could be negatively impacted
- 58If we discover material weaknesses and other deficiencies in our internal control and accounting procedures, our stock price could decline significantly and raising capital could be more difficult
- 59We incur significant costs as a result of operating as a public company and our management expects to continue to devote substantial time to public company compliance programs
Other Cardiff Oncology 10-Ks
- FY2025 10-K risk factors63 risks6 new2 dropped7 reworded
Cardiff Oncology faces growing financial strain with an auditor going concern warning and accumulated deficit rising to $430.0 million.
Filed Feb 24, 2026
About this page
The headings are the filing's own. The one-line readings and the overview are automated and can be wrong: read Item 1A of the 10-K for the exact wording.