Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding (TNXP) risk factors, FY2024 10-K

Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding's FY2024 10-K, filed Mar 18, 2025, lists 63 risk factors in 6 groups. There is no earlier 10-K to compare against, so the most company-specific risks are listed below.

Risk factors listed
636 groups
Section length
22k wordsItem 1A

Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding's biggest risks in the FY2024 10-K

  • Cash runway extends only into the first quarter of 2026, creating a going concern risk.
  • Commercial success depends heavily on maintaining and increasing sales of Zembrace and Tosymra.
  • Development relies heavily on third-party contract research organizations and manufacturers for clinical trials and supply.

The risks most specific to Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding

  • RISKS RELATED TO OUR BUSINESS

    Our prospects are dependent on the continued successful commercialization of Zembrace and Tosymra. To the extent we cannot maintain or increase sales of Zembrace and Tosymra, our business, financial condition and results of operations may be materially adversely affected and the price of our common stock may decline

    Our prospects depend on the continued successful commercialization of our only approved drugs, Zembrace and Tosymra.

  • RISKS RELATED TO OUR FINANCIAL CONDITION AND CAPITAL REQUIREMENTS; COMPETITION

    We may be unable to continue to operate without the threat of liquidation for the foreseeable future. Our independent registered public accounting firm has included an explanatory paragraph relating to our ability to continue as a going concern in its report on our audited financial statements

    Existing cash and cash equivalents will only enable us to maintain operations into the first quarter of 2026.

  • RISKS RELATED TO OUR BUSINESS

    Uncertainty in Government Funding and In-Kind Support Policies and Programs may adversely affect our business

    Changes in federal funding policies and review of DoD contracts and NIH grants by President Donald Trump's administration could impact financial resources.

  • RISKS RELATED TO PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, REGULATORY APPROVAL, MANUFACTURING AND COMMERCILAIZATION

    If we are required to generate additional data related to safety and efficacy in order to obtain approval for TNX-SL for FM under Section 505(b)(2), we may be unable to meet our anticipated development and commercialization timelines

    We submitted the NDA for TNX-102 SL for fibromyalgia under Section 505(b)(2) and may be required to generate additional safety and efficacy data.

  • GENERAL COMPANY-RELATED RISKS

    Our executive officers and other key personnel are critical to our business, and our future success depends on our ability to retain them

    Our future success depends on retaining key executives, including President and CEO Dr. Seth Lederman and CMO Dr. Gregory M. Sullivan.

  • RISKS RELATED TO OUR BUSINESS

    We have a history of operating losses and expect to incur losses for the foreseeable future. We may never achieve profitability

    We have a history of operating losses, started generating revenues from product sales in the third quarter of 2023, and may never achieve profitability.

  • RISKS RELATED TO PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, REGULATORY APPROVAL, MANUFACTURING AND COMMERCILAIZATION

    If preclinical and nonclinical testing or clinical studies for our product candidates are unsuccessful or delayed, we will be unable to meet our anticipated development and commercialization timelines

    We rely on third parties, including contract research organizations and outside consultants, to conduct preclinical and clinical studies.

All 63 risk factors

Headings as the filing states them, in filing order.

RISKS RELATED TO OUR BUSINESS

  1. 01Coverage and adequate reimbursement may not be available for our products, which could make it difficult for us to sell our products profitably
  2. 02Healthcare legislative or regulatory reform measures, including government restrictions on pricing and reimbursement, may have a negative impact on our business and results of operations
  3. 03Even if we obtain regulatory approval to market our product candidates, our product candidates may not be accepted by the market
  4. 04Our prospects are dependent on the continued successful commercialization of Zembrace and Tosymra. To the extent we cannot maintain or increase sales of Zembrace and Tosymra, our business, financial condition and results of operations may be materially adversely affected and the price of our common stock may decline
  5. 05We have a history of operating losses and expect to incur losses for the foreseeable future. We may never achieve profitability
  6. 06We expect a number of factors to cause our operating results to fluctuate on a quarterly and annual basis, which may make it difficult to predict our future performance
  7. 07Uncertainty in Government Funding and In-Kind Support Policies and Programs may adversely affect our business
  8. 08We are exposed to cybersecurity and data privacy risks that, if realized, could expose us to legal liability, damage our reputation and harm our business

RISKS RELATED TO PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, REGULATORY APPROVAL, MANUFACTURING AND COMMERCILAIZATION

  1. 09Our product candidates are novel and still in development
  2. 10Successful development of our products is uncertain
  3. 11If preclinical and nonclinical testing or clinical studies for our product candidates are unsuccessful or delayed, we will be unable to meet our anticipated development and commercialization timelines
  4. 12We are subject to extensive and costly government regulation
  5. 13We do not have, and may never obtain, the regulatory approvals we need to market our product candidates
  6. 14Our product candidates may cause serious adverse events, or SAEs, or undesirable side effects which may delay or prevent marketing authorization, or, if approval is received, require them to be taken off the market, require them to include safety warnings or otherwise limit their sales
  7. 15If we are required to generate additional data related to safety and efficacy in order to obtain approval for TNX-SL for FM under Section 505(b)(2), we may be unable to meet our anticipated development and commercialization timelines
  8. 16Even if approved, our product candidates will be subject to extensive post-approval regulation
  9. 17Because of the breadth of these laws and the narrowness of the statutory exceptions and safe harbors available, it is possible that some of our business activities could be subject to challenge under one or more of such laws
  10. 18If we obtain approval to commercialize any approved products outside of the United States, a variety of risks associated with international operations could materially adversely affect our business
  11. 19We may use our financial and human resources to pursue a particular research program or product candidate and fail to capitalize on programs or product candidates that may be more profitable or for which there is a greater likelihood of success
  12. 20The biopharmaceutical industry is subject to extensive regulatory obligations and policies that may be subject to change, including due to judicial challenges
  13. 21Reductions in staffing and funding at FDA and other federal agencies could cause delays in the development and approval of our products

RISKS RELATED TO OUR FINANCIAL CONDITION AND CAPITAL REQUIREMENTS; COMPETITION

  1. 22We may be unable to continue to operate without the threat of liquidation for the foreseeable future. Our independent registered public accounting firm has included an explanatory paragraph relating to our ability to continue as a going concern in its report on our audited financial statements
  2. 23We will need additional capital. If additional capital is not available or is available at unattractive terms, we may be forced to delay, reduce the scope of or eliminate our research and development programs, reduce our commercialization efforts or curtail our operations
  3. 24Competition and technological change may make our product candidates and technologies less attractive or obsolete
  4. 25Although we have two approved products on the market, we do not expect revenues from product sales to exceed expenses in the foreseeable future, if at all
  5. 26Outbreaks of communicable diseases may materially and adversely affect our business, financial condition and results of operations

RISKS RELATED TO OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND REGULATORY EXCLUSIVITY

  1. 27If we fail to protect our intellectual property rights, our ability to pursue the development of our technologies and products would be negatively affected
  2. 28We may be involved in lawsuits to protect or enforce our patents, which could be expensive and time consuming
  3. 29If we infringe the rights of third parties we could be prevented from selling products, forced to pay damages, and defend against litigation
  4. 30There are risks to our intellectual property based on our international business initiatives

GENERAL COMPANY-RELATED RISKS

  1. 31We rely on third parties to conduct, supervise and monitor our clinical studies, and if those third parties perform in an unsatisfactory manner, it may harm our business
  2. 32We will need to expand our operations and increase the size of our company, and we may experience difficulties in managing growth
  3. 33Our executive officers and other key personnel are critical to our business, and our future success depends on our ability to retain them
  4. 34Any employment agreement we enter into will not ensure the retention of the employee who is a party to the agreement. In addition, we have only limited ability to prevent former employees from competing with us
  5. 35If we are unable to hire additional qualified personnel, our ability to grow our business may be harmed
  6. 36Failure by our third-party manufacturers to comply with the regulatory guidelines set forth by the FDA with respect to our products and product candidates could delay or prevent the completion of clinical studies, the approval of any product candidates or the commercialization of our products
  7. 37Adverse global conditions, including economic uncertainty, may negatively impact our financial results
  8. 38Our internal computer systems, or those of our CROs or other contractors or consultants, may fail or suffer security breaches, which could result in a material disruption of our product development programs
  9. 39Corporate and academic collaborators may take actions to delay, prevent, or undermine the success of our products
  10. 40Data provided by collaborators and others upon which we rely that has not been independently verified could turn out to be false, misleading, or incomplete
  11. 41Our product candidates may face competition sooner than expected
  12. 42Our strategy for our marketed products and our product candidates is to control, directly or through contracted third parties, all or most aspects of the product development process, including marketing, sales and distribution
  13. 43We face the risk of product liability claims and may not be able to obtain insurance
  14. 44We use hazardous chemicals in our business. Potential claims relating to improper handling, storage or disposal of these chemicals could affect us and be time-consuming and costly
  15. 45Our insurance policies are expensive and protect us only from some business risks, which will leave us exposed to significant uninsured liabilities
  16. 46If we retain collaborative partners and our partners do not satisfy their obligations, we will be unable to develop our partnered product candidates
  17. 47If we are unsuccessful in obtaining a priority review voucher for material threat medical countermeasures, the length of the approval process for our TNX-801 vaccine in development to prevent smallpox and mpox will be longer than the approval process with the priority review voucher
  18. 48There may not be market interest in TNX-801
  19. 49Government entities may take actions that directly or indirectly have the effect of limiting opportunities for our vaccine candidates for COVID-19
  20. 50If technology developed for the purposes of developing new medicines or vaccines can be applied to the creation or development of biological weapons, then our technology may be considered “dual use” technology and be subject to limitations on public disclosure or export
  21. 51We face risks in connection with existing and future collaborations with respect to the development, manufacture, and commercialization of our product candidates
  22. 52Developing our TNX-1800 and TNX-801 vaccine candidates each require testing of challenges with rabbitpox, vaccinia mpox or SARS-CoV-2 viruses under controlled experimental conditions. The testing of TNX-1800 and TNX-801 may carry risk of infection and harm to individuals

RISKS RELATED TO OUR STOCK

  1. 53Sales of additional shares of our common stock could cause the price of our common stock to decline
  2. 54An active trading market for our common stock may not be sustained
  3. 55The market price of our common stock has been extremely volatile and may continue to be volatile due to numerous circumstances beyond our control
  4. 56A “short squeeze” due to a sudden increase in demand for shares of our common stock that largely could lead to extreme price volatility in shares of our common stock
  5. 57We could be delisted from Nasdaq, which could seriously harm the liquidity of our stock and our ability to raise capital
  6. 58We do not anticipate paying dividends on our common stock and, accordingly, shareholders must rely on stock appreciation for any return on their investment
  7. 59We expect that our quarterly results of operations will fluctuate, and this fluctuation could cause our stock price to decline
  8. 60The rights of the holders of common stock may be impaired by the potential issuance of preferred stock
  9. 61If we fail to comply with the rules under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 related to accounting controls and procedures, or if we discover material weaknesses and deficiencies in our internal control and accounting procedures, our stock price could decline significantly and raising capital could be more difficult
  10. 62If securities or industry analysts do not publish research or reports about our business, or if they change their recommendations regarding our stock adversely, our stock price and trading volume could decline
  11. 63Other companies may have difficulty acquiring us, even if doing so would benefit our stockholders, due to provisions under our corporate charter and bylaws, as well as Nevada law

Other Tonix Pharmaceuticals Holding 10-Ks

  • FY2025 10-K risk factors
    68 risks16 new11 dropped9 reworded

    Tonix is transitioning from a clinical-stage company to a commercial organization following the August 2025 FDA approval of TONMYA for fibromyalgia.

    Filed Mar 12, 2026

About this page

The headings are the filing's own. The one-line readings and the overview are automated and can be wrong: read Item 1A of the 10-K for the exact wording.