Curis's biggest risks in the FY2024 10-K
- Curis faces going concern doubts and net losses, with $20.0 million in cash as of December 31, 2024.
- The business relies heavily on the clinical success and commercialization of emavusertib.
- Royalty revenue depends on Genentech and Roche sales of Erivedge.
The risks most specific to Curis
- RISKS RELATING TO OUR FINANCIAL RESULTS AND NEED FOR FINANCING
We have identified conditions and events that raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern
We have identified conditions and events that raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern due to recurring losses and negative cash flows, holding $20.0 million in cash and cash equivalents as of December 31, 2024.
- RISKS RELATING TO OUR FINANCIAL RESULTS AND NEED FOR FINANCING
We have incurred substantial losses, expect to continue to incur substantial losses for the foreseeable future and may never generate significant revenue or achieve or maintain profitability
We incurred a net loss of $43.4 million for the year ended December 31, 2024, and hold an accumulated deficit of $1.2 billion.
- RISKS RELATING TO OUR FINANCIAL RESULTS AND NEED FOR FINANCING
We will require substantial additional capital, which may be difficult to obtain, and if we are unable to raise capital when needed, we could be forced to delay, reduce or eliminate our drug development program or commercialization efforts, and our ability to continue operations could be adversely affected
We need substantial additional capital to fund our research and development program for emavusertib and support our collaboration with Aurigene.
- RISKS RELATING TO OUR FINANCIAL RESULTS AND NEED FOR FINANCING
Aurigene, we are required to make milestone and royalty fee payments, which impose significant potential financial obligations on us
We completed a registered direct offering in March 2025 for net proceeds of approximately $9.0 million to extend our cash runway.
- RISKS RELATING TO OUR FINANCIAL RESULTS AND NEED FOR FINANCING
The amount of royalty revenue Curis Royalty receives from sales of Erivedge has been adversely affected by a competing drug, and may further be affected in the future
Our subsidiary Curis Royalty receives royalties ranging from 5% to 7.5% on net sales of Erivedge by Roche and Genentech, which have been adversely affected by a competing drug.
- RISKS RELATING TO THE DEVELOPMENT AND COMMERCIALIZATION OF OUR DRUG CANDIDATES
The therapeutic efficacy of emavusertib is unproven in humans, and we may not be able to successfully develop and commercialize emavusertib
The therapeutic efficacy of our lead drug candidate, emavusertib, is unproven in humans.
- RISKS RELATING TO THE DEVELOPMENT AND COMMERCIALIZATION OF OUR DRUG CANDIDATES
Companies pursuing IRAK 4 inhibitors include a pre-clinical stage company, Kurome Therapeutics (IRAK1/4) and a clinical stage company, Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (R289)
We face direct competition from companies pursuing IRAK 4 and FLT3 inhibitors, including Kurome Therapeutics, Rigel Pharmaceuticals, and Astellas Pharma.
- RISKS RELATING TO OUR DEPENDENCE ON THIRD PARTIES
We are reliant on Genentech and Roche for the successful commercialization of Erivedge. If Genentech and Roche do not successfully commercialize Erivedge for metastatic BCC and/or advanced BCC, our future revenue may be substantially harmed
Our future revenue depends on Genentech and Roche successfully commercializing Erivedge for metastatic and advanced basal cell carcinoma.
- RISKS RELATING TO OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
We face risks relating to the enforcement of our intellectual property rights in China and India that could adversely affect our business
We conduct chemical development work through contract research organizations in China and India, exposing us to foreign intellectual property enforcement risks.
All 57 risk factors
Headings as the filing states them, in filing order.
RISKS RELATING TO OUR FINANCIAL RESULTS AND NEED FOR FINANCING
- 01We have identified conditions and events that raise substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern
- 02We have incurred substantial losses, expect to continue to incur substantial losses for the foreseeable future and may never generate significant revenue or achieve or maintain profitability
- 03We will require substantial additional capital, which may be difficult to obtain, and if we are unable to raise capital when needed, we could be forced to delay, reduce or eliminate our drug development program or commercialization efforts, and our ability to continue operations could be adversely affected
- 04Aurigene, we are required to make milestone and royalty fee payments, which impose significant potential financial obligations on us
- 05The amount of royalty revenue Curis Royalty receives from sales of Erivedge has been adversely affected by a competing drug, and may further be affected in the future
- 06If the estimates we make and the assumptions on which we rely in preparing our financial statements prove inaccurate, our actual results may vary significantly
RISKS RELATING TO THE DEVELOPMENT AND COMMERCIALIZATION OF OUR DRUG CANDIDATES
- 07The therapeutic efficacy of emavusertib is unproven in humans, and we may not be able to successfully develop and commercialize emavusertib
- 08If we experience delays in the enrollment of patients in our clinical trials of emavusertib, our receipt of necessary regulatory approvals could be delayed or prevented
- 09Our inability to enroll a sufficient number of patients for our clinical trials could result in significant delays or may require us to abandon one or more clinical trials altogether and may result in increased development costs for our drug candidates, which would likely cause the value of our stock price to decline
- 10We have never obtained marketing approval for a drug candidate and we may be unable to obtain, or may be delayed in obtaining, marketing approval for emavusertib or any future drug candidates that we, or any future collaborators, may develop
- 11Even if emavusertib receives marketing approval, it may fail to achieve the degree of market acceptance by physicians, patients, third party payors and others in the medical community necessary for commercial success, in which case we may not generate significant revenues or become profitable
- 12they are currently taking and do not want to switch unless their physicians recommend switching drugs or they are required to switch therapies due to lack of reimbursement for existing therapies
- 13We may expend our limited resources to pursue a particular drug candidate or indication and fail to capitalize on drug candidates or indications that may be more profitable or for which there is a greater likelihood of success
- 14We currently have no sales, marketing, or distribution experience and, as such, we must build infrastructure related to product sales, marketing and distribution or make arrangements with third parties to perform these services, and any such third parties may not successfully market or sell any drugs we develop
- 15We face substantial competition, and our competitors may discover, develop or commercialize drugs before or more successfully than we do
- 16Companies pursuing IRAK 4 inhibitors include a pre-clinical stage company, Kurome Therapeutics (IRAK1/4) and a clinical stage company, Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (R289)
- 17Even if we, or any collaborators, are able to commercialize any drug candidate that we, or they, develop, the drug may become subject to unfavorable pricing regulations, third party payor reimbursement practices or healthcare reform initiatives, any of which could harm our business
- 18Product liability lawsuits against us or our collaborators could divert our resources, cause us to incur substantial liabilities and limit commercialization of any drugs that we may develop
RISKS RELATING TO OUR DEPENDENCE ON THIRD PARTIES
- 19We may not be successful in establishing additional strategic collaborations, which could adversely affect our ability to develop and commercialize emavusertib, which we have strategically determined to pursue with a collaborator
- 20We rely in part on third parties to conduct clinical trials of emavusertib, and if such third parties perform inadequately, including failing to meet deadlines for the completion of such trials, research or testing, then we may not be able to successfully develop and commercialize emavusertib and grow our business
- 21We depend on third parties to produce emavusertib, and if these third parties do not successfully formulate or manufacture the drug candidate, our business could be harmed
- 22Any manufacturing problem, the loss of a contract manufacturer or any loss of storage could be disruptive to our operations, delay our clinical trials and, if our products are approved for sale, result in lost sales
- 23Because we rely on a limited number of suppliers for the raw materials used in emavusertib, any delay, shortage or interruption in the supply of such raw materials or contamination in our manufacturing process could lead to delays in the manufacture and supply of emavusertib
- 24We are reliant on Genentech and Roche for the successful commercialization of Erivedge. If Genentech and Roche do not successfully commercialize Erivedge for metastatic BCC and/or advanced BCC, our future revenue may be substantially harmed
RISKS RELATING TO EMPLOYEE MATTERS AND MANAGING GROWTH
- 25If we are not able to attract and retain key management and scientific personnel and advisors, we may not successfully develop emavusertib or achieve our other business objectives
- 26terms given the competition among numerous pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities and research institutions for similarly qualified personnel
- 27We may in the future seek to acquire complementary businesses and technologies or otherwise seek to expand our operations and grow our business, which may divert management resources and adversely affect our financial condition and operating results
RISKS RELATING TO OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- 28We may become involved in expensive and unpredictable patent litigation or other contentious intellectual property proceedings, which could result in liability for damages or require us to cease our development and commercialization efforts
- 29There are substantial threats of litigation and other adversarial opposition proceedings regarding patent and other intellectual property rights in the pharmaceutical and life science industries. We may become a party to patent litigation or other proceedings regarding intellectual property rights
- 30We face risks relating to the enforcement of our intellectual property rights in China and India that could adversely affect our business
- 31If we are unable to keep our trade secrets confidential, our technology and proprietary information may be used by competitors
- 32We have agreements under which we license rights to technology from third parties, and we could lose license rights to intellectual property that are important to our business under certain circumstances
- 33We may be subject to claims that our employees have wrongfully used or disclosed alleged trade secrets of their former employers
RISKS RELATING TO REGULATORY APPROVAL AND MARKETING OF OUR DRUG CANDIDATES AND OTHER LEGAL COMPLIANCE MATTERS
- 34Any delay in obtaining or failure to obtain required approvals could negatively affect our ability or that of any future collaborators to generate revenue from emavusertib, which likely would result in significant harm to our financial position and adversely impact our stock price
- 35We, or any future collaborators, may not be able to obtain orphan drug designation or orphan drug exclusivity for emavusertib and, even if we do, that exclusivity may not prevent the FDA or the EMA from approving competing products
- 36We do not know if, when, or how the FDA or Congress may change the orphan drug regulations and policies in the future, and it is uncertain how any changes might affect our business. Depending on what changes the FDA may make to its orphan drug regulations and policies, our business could be adversely impacted
- 37If we, or our collaborators, obtain marketing approval for emavusertib, it will be subject to ongoing regulation and could be subject to restrictions or withdrawal from the market, and we may be subject to substantial penalties if we fail to comply with regulatory requirements, when and if emavusertib is approved
- 38We may seek certain designations for emavusertib, including Breakthrough Therapy and Fast Track designations, in the U.S., and PRIME Designation in the EU, but we might not receive such designations, and even if we do, such designations may not lead to a faster development or regulatory review or approval process
- 39Current and future legislation may increase the difficulty and cost for us and any future collaborators to obtain reimbursement for any drug candidate that does receive marketing approval and our ability to generate revenue will be materially impaired
- 40The prices of prescription pharmaceuticals in the United States and foreign jurisdictions are subject to considerable legislative and executive actions and could impact the prices we obtain for our products, if and when licensed
- 41We are subject to U.S. and foreign anti-corruption and anti-money laundering laws with respect to our operations and non-compliance with such laws can subject us to criminal and/or civil liability and harm our business
- 42We are subject to governmental export and import controls that could impair our ability to compete in international markets due to licensing requirements and subject us to liability if we are not in compliance with applicable laws
- 43Changes in U.S. and international trade policies, particularly with respect to China and Canada, may adversely impact our business and operating results
- 44If we fail to comply with environmental, health and safety laws and regulations, we could become subject to fines or penalties or incur costs that could harm our business
- 45Our employees may engage in misconduct or other improper activities, including non-compliance with regulatory standards and requirements, which could cause significant liability for us and harm our reputation
- 46Our internal computer systems, or those of any collaborators or contractors or consultants, may fail or suffer security breaches or other cyber incidents, which could result in a material disruption of our product development program
RISKS RELATING TO OUR COMMON STOCK
- 47If we fail to meet the requirements for continued listing on the Nasdaq Capital Market, our common stock could be delisted from trading, which would decrease the liquidity of our common stock and our ability to raise additional capital
- 48The trading price of our common stock has been volatile and is likely to continue to be volatile in the future. The stock market, particularly in recent years, has experienced significant volatility with respect to pharmaceutical and biotechnology company stocks
- 49While we cannot predict the individual effect that these factors may have on the price of our common stock, these factors, either individually or in the aggregate, could result in significant variations in price during any given period of time
- 50Fluctuations in our quarterly and annual operating results could adversely affect the price of our common stock which could result in substantial losses for purchasers of our common stock
- 51We and our collaborators may not achieve projected research, development, commercialization and marketing goals in the time frames that we or they announce, which could have an adverse impact on our business and could cause our stock price to decline
- 52Future sales of shares of our common stock, including by us, employees and large stockholders, including pursuant to our 2024 Sales Agreement with Cantor and JonesTrading could result in dilution to our stockholders and negatively affect our stock price
- 53We do not intend to pay dividends on our common stock, and any return to investors will come, if at all, only from potential increases in the price of our common stock
- 54We have anti-takeover defenses that could delay or prevent an acquisition that our stockholders may consider favorable, or prevent attempts by our stockholders to replace or remove current management, which could result in a decline in the price of our common stock
- 55If we are not able to maintain effective internal controls under Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, our business and stock price could be adversely affected
- 56Our ability to use our net operating loss carryforwards and certain other tax attributes may be limited
- 57We are subject to risks associated with public health crises and epidemics/pandemics, such as the COVID-19 pandemic
Other Curis 10-Ks
- FY2025 10-K risk factors57 risks8 new8 dropped17 reworded
Curis faces intense competition for its lead drug emavusertib across multiple oncology indications. The company added new risks regarding FDA funding and potential 100% tariffs on imported branded drugs. Curis received a Nasdaq delisting notice for failing minimum bid price requirements.
Filed Mar 24, 2026
About this page
The headings are the filing's own. The one-line readings and the overview are automated and can be wrong: read Item 1A of the 10-K for the exact wording.